Policyholders - Frequently Asked Questions

Medicare Supplement FAQs

Why does Medicare have North American Insurance listed as my secondary for Crossover?

The contract between Medicare and your supplement insurance is with North American Insurance, who is the company that services your insurance.

How do I submit a claim if it does not crossover from Medicare?

Your provider can submit a claim form with an explanation of benefits from Medicare. You may also submit your Medicare Summary notice.

What should I do if my claims are not crossing over from Medicare?

It can take up to 90 days after your effective date for crossover to begin. If it has been longer than 90 days, contact a customer service representative at the telephone number listed on the back of your insurance card.

May I choose not to have my claims crossover from Medicare?

No, we automatically submit information on all of our insureds to Medicare. Medicare uses that information and sends us the claim.

Does my Supplement pay for everything Medicare does not pay for?

No, in most cases Medicare must approve the service. If Medicare does not approve a charge, you will want to check with Medicare to see if your provider is allowed to bill you for this service. Refer to your policy for additional benefit requirements.

Do I need to have my services pre-authorized?

You do not need to pre-authorize services with your Medicare Supplement Insurance.

Will my Medicare Supplement Insurance pay for routine vision, dental visits, or hearing aids?

In order for your Medicare Supplement to consider the charges, Medicare would need to approve them. In most cases, Medicare does not approve these types of services.

Is there a grace period on my policy before it is cancelled for nonpayment?

There is a 30-day grace period from the day your premium is due. If the premium is not received after 30 days, your policy will terminate.

May I make my premium payment by credit card or over the telephone?

At this time, we do not accept premium payments by credit card or telephone payments. Your premium payment must be submitted by mail or via automatic bank withdrawal.

How do I get a copy of my policy or another insurance card?

You can contact a customer service representative at the telephone number listed on the back of your card. If you do not have your card, the number is available on this website or on your premium notice. The Customer Service Representative will send you a copy of your policy or a new insurance card. You can also request a temporary ID card on this website.

Do you offer a Medicare Part D plan?

We do not currently have a Medicare Part D plan.

What should I do if I receive a charge for a doctor or facility that I do not recognize?

First, think about what kind of services you had with another doctor. A good portion of the time, the charge is from a billing service or a laboratory that your physician uses. If this is not the case, contact a customer service representative and they can research the charge.

What can I do if my claim is submitted late and is denied for timely filing?

You or your provider can file an appeal. The appeal should contain proof that the claim was submitted in a timely manner or a reason the claim could not be submitted in a timely manner. The claim will be reviewed for consideration of payment. There is no guarantee the claim will be paid after an appeal.

What if I am involved in an accident and another insurance is involved?

Notify Medicare and your supplement of the accident. Provide your attorneys information if applicable, the date of the accident, they type of accident, a description of your injuries, and information on any other insurance that may possibly make payment.

Who can obtain information regarding my policy and claims?

Only you can give permission for us to release information to another person. This permission can be given in writing or can be given verbally on calls to our office. You give your provider access to claims information when you authorize them to submit claims on your behalf.

What is needed to submit a foreign travel claim?

Please mail in any receipts you have received for services outside of the country. List the date you left the United States, the destination country, the date of your injury, and the nature of your injury. Claims will be considered according to the benefits in your policy at the time of the service. Submission of a claim is not a guarantee of payment.

How does the Veterans Administration (VA) work with my supplement insurance?

The VA is unable to submit claims to Medicare, as a government agency cannot bill another government agency. We treat a VA claim as if Medicare processed the claim. We process the claim through Medicare’s fee structure and pay 20% of what Medicare would have approved if the claim had been submitted to them.

Life Insurance FAQs

How do I change my beneficiaries?

Print and complete a change of beneficiary form from your portal and then mail, fax, or email the signed and completed form (all pages) to us. You may also upload the form to us from your portal.

How do I get a duplicate copy of my policy?

Print and complete a duplicate policy request form from your portal and then mail, fax, or email the signed and completed form (all pages) to us. You may also upload the form to us from your portal.

Do you take credit or debit cards as a payment method?

No, we can only draft premiums directly from a checking or savings account or you may send a check or money order for your quarterly, semi-annual, or annual payments.

Can I pay a monthly premium in the mail?

No, we do not accept monthly premium payments in the mail. You can request to be billed quarterly, semi-annually, or annually for your premiums. Monthly premiums can only be accepted by direct draft from your checking or savings account.

How do I change my address?

You can change your address, home phone, work phone, cell phone, and email address by clicking on the symbol on your portal homepage.

Can I allow someone else to be notified if I miss a premium or my policy goes past due?

Yes, you can add a "Secondary Payor" to your policy from your portal homepage by clicking on the icon and completing the fields with that person's information. Should your policy go past due for any reason, that person will receive a duplicate copy of your past due notice.

How do I complete a name change request?

Print and complete a Change of Name form from your portal and then mail, fax, or e-mail the signed and completed form (all pages) to us. You may also upload the form to us through your portal. Be sure to include legal documentation of the name change.

The insured on my policy has passed away. How do I begin the claim process?

Please contact our Customer Service team at 1-866-641-9999 to begin the claim process.

How do I update a beneficiary's contact information?

Please contact our Customer Service team at 1-866-641-9999 to update your beneficiary's contact information.

Annuity FAQs

How do I access my money?

Print & complete an Annuity Financial Withdrawal form from your portal and then mail, fax or email the signed and completed form (all pages) to us. Withdrawals cannot be processed over the telephone.

Will I receive a 1099 for interest earned on my annuity?

You will not receive a 1099 for the interest earned. You will only receive a 1099 if you take a withdrawal from your annuity.

When will I receive a 1099?

1099's are only issued on policies that had withdrawals during the year. They are mailed from our office no later than Jan 31st of each year.

What is the tax form 5498 that I just received?

Oxford will send a 5498 to all policyholders who have a tax-qualified Annuity policy. The 5498 is for information purposes only and is not required in your tax filings. These forms will generally be sent out in May of each year.

What is Oxford Life's Credit Rating?

Oxford is rated A-Excellent by A.M. Best. This company is a credit rating agency for the financial and health care service industries. A.M. Best's Financial Strength Rating is an independent opinion that signifies our organizations stability. This evaluation is based upon our company's balance sheet strength, operating performance and business profile.

Why do I receive a Fair Market Value Letter each year?

The Fair Market Value letter is provided for informational purposes only. We are required by IRS Regulations to report your annuity value as of the end of the calendar year. As a tax qualified annuity owner you are subject to Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) rules.

What is an RMD/MRD?

Your Required Minimum Distribution or RMD (sometimes referred to as a Minimum Required Distribution or MRD) is the minimum amount you must withdraw from your account each year. You generally have to start taking withdrawals from your IRA, SEP IRA, SIMPLE IRA, or retirement plan account when you reach age 70½. Roth IRAs do not require withdrawals until after the death of the owner.

Can I add funds to my annuity?

You cannot add funds to the annuity after the contract has been issued. Instead, under certain circumstances, you may request your agent write a new policy for you.

How is the cap rate determined on the indexed allocation elections?

Executives of Oxford determine the cap rate based on the performance of the market.

How is the MVA determined?

Market Value Adjustment (MVA) can be attached to a deferred annuity that features fixed interest rate guarantees combined with an interest rate adjustment factor that can cause the actual crediting rates to increase or decrease in response to market conditions. Generally, the MVA will only apply to the amount withdrawn in excess of the free withdrawal provision stated in the contract during the surrender charge period (most annuities will allow free withdrawals of 10% of the accumulation value or the interest earned in the contract). If interest rates are higher at the time of withdrawal than when the contract was purchased, a negative MVA will apply. If interest rates are lower at the time of withdrawal than when the contract was purchased, a positive MVA will apply.

Keep Updated